Employment For All Advocacy Day, March 2nd, was a fantastic experience.
- Over 40 individuals, both clients and Trillium staff, traveled to Olympia for the day.
- We met with 20 legislators representing districts in Clark, King, Kitsap and Pierce counties.
- Students and teachers from the Federal Way School District explained “School To Work” as a successful model to get work-ready students into the workforce.
- Nearly 200 people gathered for the Governor’s Proclamation of Employment For All Day. As the rally began, chants of “WE CAN WORK! WE CAN WORK!” could be heard echoing through the legislative building. During the rally, legislators were recognized for their efforts on behalf of supported employment.
The day was a wonderful opportunity for people with disabilities to share their stories with their legislators about why work matters. Legislators learn about the businesses in their districts that have created an integrated workforce and they hear how earning a paycheck enables someone to contribute to the economy and, of course, be a taxpayer! This is our opportunity to thank Washington legislators for their investment in supported employment programs. Businesses and individuals with disabilities rely on the leadership of our elected officials to help us create an inclusive workforce. There are still many unemployed and underemployed Washingtonians with intellectual disabilities so together we will continue to ensure employment for all.
It was an energizing and empowering day to get the voice of people with disabilities in the halls of our capitol and making their mark on the advancement of inclusion in our communities. Thanks to the Arc of Washington and Community Employment Alliance for coordinating the day.
Recent Trillium highlights:
- Kitsap spent a day preparing clients for interivews with a fun speed interview event. They are ready to work–you ready to hire? Check out this fun video.
- We are continuing to distribute our INCLUSIVE EMPLOYER window decals to businesses throughout the state! Keep on the lookout!